14 juillet 1944

Une chance que j’ai trouvé le livre des opérations du 425 Alouette sinon je vous aurais induit en erreur avec le prochain billet sur le pilote Joseph Alcide Yvon Côté.

Côté

Collection Réal St-Amour

Easy Does it 14 juillet 1944-3

Toute une histoire derrière cette photo et les nombreuses autres qui l’accompagnent. Elles sont toutes dans l’album de l’adjudant Réal St-Amour.

JPEG001

Easy Does it 14 juillet 1944-005

Easy Does it 14 juillet 1944-2

Easy Does it 14 juillet 1944

Easy Does it 14 juillet 1944-4

Easy Does it 14 juillet 1944-1

Qui avait fait cette livraison spéciale? Le pilote Côté selon ce que l’adjudant Réal St-Amour avait écrit.

Sauf que le livre des opérations dit autrement…

L’opération s’est déroulée dans la nuit du 15 au 16 juillet, objectif Nucourt.

photo op 14 juillet 1944

photo op 14 juillet 1944 détails

L’équipage de Côté n’était même pas de cette opération.

Pop Côté Easy Does it

15 juillet 1944 Nucourt

15 juillet 1944 Nucourt 115 juillet 1944 Nucourt 2

Pas grave en soi, mais on ne saura jamais quel équipage avait lâché le drapeau tricolore au-dessus de Nucourt.

En passant, les photos sont superbes et détaillées si vous cliquez sur chacune!

Qui se souvient de… « Tush » Laviolette?

Tush c’était le surnom de Joseph Alexandre Laviolette.

Tush Laviolette

Qui se souvient de cet aviateur dont la photo  s’est retrouvée  dans l’édition  de La Patrie du 2 avril  1944?

La Patrie 199-04-02a

Le sous-officier breveté J.-A. Laviolette, radiotélégraphiste-mitrailleur, de Dalhousie (N.-B.), un membre de la fameuse escadrille des « Alouettes », est ici photographié à côté de son bombardier « Halifax »

La Patrie 199-04-02b

La Patrie 1944-04-02

2 avril 1944…
Le P/O (Pilot Officer) Joseph Alexandre Laviolette, J/19970, de Dalhousie, N.B., était le WAG de l’équipage de Norval Hodges « Casey » Jones. 
 
Sauf que  le 25 mars 1944 l‘équipage de « Casey » Jones en était à sa 4e mission, destination Berlin, à bord du Halifax KW-C, le même appareil que sur la photo.
Tush Laviolette
Le KW-C s’écrasa à l’embouchure du fleuve Elbe.
Tous périrent. 
Trois membres d’équipage furent inhumés en Allemagne mais le corps de Laviolette ainsi que ceux de trois autres de ses compagnons ne furent jamais retrouvés.

Lors de la même opération du 25 mars 1944… (source  site de Richard Koval)

Sgt V. Lacaille and F/Sgt V. Irvine from 425 Squadron returned to base as their port outers were u/s. They both landed safely at base on 3 engines.
F/O J. Taylor returned early as the rear turret was u/s.
P/O L. Renaud RCAF and crew, flying Halifax III LW425 coded KW-V, failed to return from this operation.

Sgt J. Nutman RAF
F/O J. Brazeau RCAF
P/O M. Boyer RCAF
P/O R. Hanks RCAF
P/O C. Turner RCAF
P/O J. Huot RCAF

All were killed after being shot down by a Nightfighter.

P/O N. Jones RCAF and crew, flying Halifax III LW428 coded KW-C, failed to return from this operation.

Sgt G. Mabbott RAF
P/O M. Latornell RCAF
P/O M. McLeod RCAF
P/O J. Laviolette RCAF
P/O J. Bouchard RCAF
P/O J. Tracey RCAF

All were killed.

Qui se souvenait de « Tush » Laviolette?

Réal  St-Amour  se souvenait  de « Tush » Laviolette et de plusieurs autres Alouettes.

JPEG017

JPEG020

 

 

 

Tholthorpe

Photos  extraordinaires

Cliquez ici.

RAF Tholthorpe opened in August 1940 as a satellite to RAF Linton-on-Ouse, part of 4 Group, Bomber Command.  Originally, Tholthorpe had three grass-surfaced runways,  along with a Watch Office for Bomber Satellite Stations (13097/41).  This tower has a distinctive and very unusual brick and concrete « runway in use » signal board hoarding on its roof.  As the need for stations capable of handling heavy bombers became more pressing, Tholthorpe (along with many others), underwent expansion and reopened, after a lengthy refit, in June 1943 as a Class-A bomber airfield.  The three runways runways were hardened (concrete/tarmac) and extended to become 28/10 E/W (2000yds/1828 m), 05/23 NE/SW (1400 yds/1280 m) and 34/16 NNW/SSE (1400 yds/1280 m) and a second tower added, a Watch Office for all Commands (343/43).  Hangars were two T2 and a single B1 and a second bomb store was constructed.  A mixture of loop-type (thirteen) and frying-pan hardstandings (twenty-three) could also be seen.  Accommodation to the south was spread over 14 sites (including sick quarters, sewage and administration sites)  for 1734 personel, RAF and WAAF all ranks.  The Station Pundit code was ‘TH’.

Initially, the early life of Tholthorpe only saw use by one unit, 77Sqn (Whitley V, coded ‘KN’) as part of the Station’s duty of satellite to Linton-on-Ouse.  Upon reopening in June 1943, it was as a 6 Group airfield and consequently, saw the arrival of the RCAF and was still linked to Linton-on-Ouse, being part of 62 Base (of which Linton was the parent, with RAF East Moor completing the trio).  With the transfer to 6 Group, the first Canadian Squadrons to take up residence were 434 ‘Bluenose’ Sqn RCAF (Halifax V, coded ‘IP’) which formed at Tholthorpe on June 13th 1943.  They were followed by 431 ‘Iroquiose’ Sqn RCAF, who transferred from RAF Burn in mid-July, converting from Wellingtons to Halifax V’s (coded ‘SE’).

Both 431 and 434 Sqns remained fully active until their departure in December 1943.  They were replaced by another pair of Canadian Squadrons: 420 ‘Snowy Owl’ Sqn RCAF (Halifax III, coded ‘PT’,  from RAF Dishforth) and 425 ‘Alouette’ Sqn RCAF (Halifax III, coded ‘KW’, from RAF Dalton).  Both of these Squadrons remained fully operational at Tholthorpe until the end of hostilities, when they were earmarked for transfer to Tiger Force, for operations against Japan and were transferred back to Canada in preparation.  With the use of the atomic bomb this never happened.

Flying ceased at Tholthorpe with the departure of the Canadians  and the site was disposed of in the early 1950s, being returned to agriculture.  Today, the remnants of the technical site is the home to a number of small businesses.  The T2’s have gone and the B1 is in use as a grain store.  The 1943 watch tower is a private dwelling, whilst the the original tower remains derelict – very little else of the station remains.  Tholthorpe is unusual (although not unique) in having two surviving wartime watch towers.  What little  else does remain is on private property.  A memorial to all four Canadian Squadrons can be found on the village green in Tholthorpe.

Le Lancaster X code KW-R de l’équipage de Laporte

Ne pas confondre comme je l’ai fait.

George Tremblay RCAF Plane-3

photo de la collection de Georges Tremblay via Sharon  Tremblay  

Jacques P Lamontagne 001

Rabbit’s Stew PT-R du 420 Squadron

photo de la collection de Jacques  P. Lamontagne

Jacques P  Lamontagne 001-1

Rabbit’s Stew PT-R du 420 Squadron

photo de la collection de Jacques  P. Lamontagne

Avro Lancaster X - Rabbit's Stew - équipage Roland Laporte

Rabbit’s Stew PT-R du 420 Squadron

photo de la collection de Jacques  P. Lamontagne

wpid-1_1747_al-davies-kb882-may-45

Rabbit’s Stew PT-R du 420 Squadron

photo de la collection d’Al Davies via Clarence Simonsen

wpid-1_1747_kb882-rabbits-stew-june-45-jpg

Rabbit’s Stew PT-R du 420 Squadron

photo de la collection d’Al Davies via Clarence Simonsen